Saturday, March 5, 2011

Verbs (24) - Verbs followed by -ing clauses

-ing noun လုိက္တဲ့ common verbs ေတြကေတာ့ -

Verbs of liking and disliking

Detest, dislike, enjoy, hate, fancy, like, love

I love swimming but I hate jogging.

They always enjoyed visiting their friends.

Q: Do you fancy going for a walk? A: I wouldn’t mind.

Phrases with mind

Wouldn’t mind = would like

Don’t mind = I’m willing to

Would you mind = Will you please… ?

I wouldn’t mind having some fish and chips. (I would like having some fish and chips).

I don’t mind waiting for a few minutes. (I’m willing to wait for a few minutes).

Would you mind holding this for me? (Will you hold this for me please?)

Verbs of saying and thinking

Admit, consider, deny, imagine, remember, suggest

Our guide suggested waiting until the storm was over.

Everyone denied seeing the accident.

Other common verbs

Avoid, begin, finish, keep, miss, practice, risk, start, stop

I haven’t finished writing this letter.

Let’s practice speaking English.

Passive form of –ing

ဒီ Verb အမ်ားစုေနာက္က ရံခါ Passive form of –ing လုိက္ေလ့ရွိတယ္။ (being + past participle)

I don’t like being interrupted.

Our dog love being stroked under the chin.

Noun + -ing clause

အခ်ိဳ႕ verb ေတြေနာက္က Noun နဲ႔ –ing clause လုိက္တယ္။ (V+N+Ing)

Verbs to do with the senses

See, watch, hear, smell, listen to, etc.

We saw everybody running away.

I could hear someone singing.

Other common verbs

Catch, find, imagine, leave, prevent, stop

I caught someone trying to break into my house.

We couldn’t prevent them getting away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Without insight meditation, it is incomplete to be a Buddhist.