Saturday, March 19, 2011

(15) Wh-clauses

Wh- နဲ႔ စတဲ့စကားလံုးေတြကေတာ့ what, when, where, who, which, why, how တို႔ပါပဲ။ ဒီစကားလံုးေတြနဲ႔ clauses ေတြလုပ္လုိ႔ရပါတယ္။

Wh- questions (See questions and negatives)

What are you doing?

Who ate all the pies?

Why did you do that?

After verbs of thinking

Know, understand, suppose, remember, forget, wonder

I know where you live.

She couldn’t remember who he was.

John wondered what was going to happen next.

If- clauses ေတြကိုလဲ သံုးတယ္။

I wonder if we’ll see Peter.

She couldn’t remember if she had posted the letter.

After verbs of saying

Ask, say, admit, argue, reply, agree, mention, explain, suggest

I asked what she wanted.

He tried to explain how the accident had happened.

She wouldn’t admit what she had done.

Did he say when he would come?

Tell နဲ႔ အခ်ိဳ႕ verbs of saying ေတြေနာက္မွာ direct object ထည့္ေပးရတယ္။

Tell, remind

He tried to tell them what they should do.

She reminded me where I had left the car.

အခ်ိဳ႕ thinking, saying နဲ႔ ဆုိင္တဲ့ verbs ေတြရဲ႕ေနာက္မွာ wh-words နဲ႔ to infinitive ထည့္ေပးရတယ္။

We didn’t know what to do.

We will ask when to set off.

Nobody told me what to do.

Can anyone suggest where to go for lunch?

To infinitive ရဲ႕ subject ဟာ main verb ရဲ႕ subject နဲ႔ အတူတူူျဖစ္ရင္ to infinitive ကုိသံုးတယ္။

He didn’t know what to do. (He didn’t know what he should do).

We will ask when to set off. (We will ask when we should set off).

To infinitive ရဲ႕ subject ဟာ အေျပာခံရတဲ့ပုဂၢိဳလ္နဲ႔ တူေနရင္လဲ to infinitive ကုိသံုးတယ္။

Nobody told me what to do. (Nobody told me what I should do).

Can anyone suggest where to go for lunch? (Can anyone suggest [to us] where we should go for lunch?)

အခ်ိဳ႕ noun ေတြရဲ႕ေနာက္မွာ noun ေတြအေၾကာင္း ထပ္ေျပာဖို႔ wh-clauses ေတြကုိ သံုးတယ္။

Is there any reason why I should stay?

Do you remember the day when we went to Edinburgh?

That was the town where I grew up.

Is ေနာက္မွာလဲ ရံခါ wh-clause ကိုသံုးတယ္။

I missed my bus. That’s why I was late.

This is where I live.

That’s what I thought.

Paris – that’s where we are going for our holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Without insight meditation, it is incomplete to be a Buddhist.