Saturday, March 12, 2011

(11) Clauses: Short Forms

A: Short forms as answers

1. ေမးခြန္းေတြ ေျဖတဲ့အခါ short form ကိုမၾကာခဏသံုးတယ္။ Verb phrase ရဲ႕ ပထမဆံုးစကားလံုးေလးကုိပဲ ပံုမွန္အားျဖင့္ ျပန္သံုးတယ္။

A: Can you come round tomorrow?

B: Yes, I can/ No, I can’t.

A: Have you seen Jack lately?

B: Yes, I have/ No, I haven’t.

A: Do you like living here?

B: Yes, I do/ No, I don’t.

ရံခါတြင္ Modal verb ကို ေျပာင္းလဲေျဖတယ္။

A: Will you come?

B: Yes, we might.

A: Do you think they might come?

B: Yes, I think they will.

2. ရံခါတြင္ ေမးခြန္းေတြေျဖရာမွာ think, suppose, expect, hope လို verb ေတြကို သုံးတယ္။ သံုးရတြင္-

အေျဖက yes ျဖစ္ရင္ so ထည့္ေပးတယ္။ (I expect so/ I hope so etc.)

အေျဖက no ျဖစ္ရင္ (I don’t think so/ I don’t suppose so etc.) သို႔ေသာ္ hope နဲ႔ သံုးရင္ေတာ့ (I hope not.)

A: Can you come tomorrow?

B: I hope so.

A: Will they be at home?

B: I expect so.

A: Is Amsterdam the capital of The Netherlands?

B: I don’t think so.

A: Do you think it is going to rain?

B: I hope not.

3. မၾကာခဏ perhaps, probably, possibly, maybe, definitely, certainly ကဲ့သုိ႔ေသာ Adverbials of probability ေတြကို Short answer အျဖစ္နဲ႔ သံုးတယ္။

A: Do you think it is going to rain?

B: Yes, possibly.

A: Can you come round tomorrow?

B: Definitely!

အေျဖက အျငင္းျဖစ္ေနရင္ adverbial ေနာက္က not ထည့္ေပးတယ္။

A: Do you think it is going to rain?

B: Probably not.

A: Can you come round tomorrow?

B: Maybe not.

4. တစ္ေယာက္ေယာက္ေျပာတာကို သေဘာတူ မတူ အတုိေလးေတြ သံုးတယ္။ ပံုမွန္အားျဖင့္ verb phrase ရဲ႕ ပထမဆံုးစကားလံုးကုိပဲ ျပန္သံုးတယ္။

A: It is a lovely day.

B: Yes, it is.

A: I think they might have missed their train.

B: Yes, I think they might.

A: The children will be coming to see us next week.

B: No, they won’t. They are going to their grandparents.

ရံခါ modal ကို ေျပာင္းလဲၿပီးေျပာတယ္။

A: The children will be coming to see us next week.

B: Yes, they might.

A: The children might be coming to see us next week.

B: No, they won’t. They are going to their grandparents.

Present simple form နဲ႔ ေျပာတာေတြကုိ သေဘာတူ မတူ ေျပာဖို႔ do/ does/ don’t/ doesn’t ကုိသံုးတယ္။

A: Your grandmother looks very well.

B: Yes, she does.

A: I think Jack lives here.

B: No, he doesn’t.

Past simple အတြက္ did/ didn’t ကိုသံုးတယ္။

A: Everybody really enjoyed the trip.

B: Yes, they did.

A: The children went to Malaysia last year.

B: No, they didn’t. They went to Singapore.

5. ရံခါ short tag ေလးေတြကုိသံုးတယ္။ ကုိယ့္ထင္ျမင္ခ်က္က Affirmative ျဖစ္ရင္ negative tag ကုိသံုးတယ္။

A: It is a lovely day.

B: Yes, it is, isn’t it.

A: Your grandmother looks very well.

B: Yes, she does, doesn’t she.

A: Everybody really enjoyed the trip.

B: Yes, they did, didn’t they.

ကုိယ့္ထင္ျမင္ခ်က္က negative ဆုိရင္ေတာ့ affirmative tag ကိုသံုးတယ္။

A: They didn’t seem to enjoy the trip very much.

B: They didn’t, did they.

A: It’s not a very nice day.

B: No, it isn’t, is it.

A: They haven’t done much.

B: No, they haven’t, have they.

6. ရံခါမွာ statement ရဲ႕ အဆံုးမွာ tag ထည့္ေပးတတ္တယ္။

It’s a lovely day, isn’t it?

Your grandmother looks very well, doesn’t she?

They haven’t done much, have they?

They all seemed to enjoy the trip, didn’t they?

7. တစ္ေယာက္ေယာက္ေျပာတဲ့စကားကုိ ထပ္ေျပာဖို႔ affirmative ေတြမွာ so ထည့္ေပးတယ္။

A: John is working in Barcelona.

B: And so is Maria. (Maria is working in Barcelona, too).

A: I love Indian food.

B: So do I. (I love Indian food, too).

A: They’ve just bought a new computer.

B: Really? So have we. (We have also bought a new computer).

Negative ေတြမွာ neither/ nor ထည့္ေပးတယ္။

A: I don’t smoke any more.

B: Neither do I. (I also don’t smoke).

A: They haven’t written to us for ages.

B: Nor has Peter. (Peter hasn’t written to us for ages, too).

A: We won’t be taking a holiday this year.

B: Neither will we. (We also won’t be taking a holiday this year).

A: I never have time for breakfast.

B: Nor have I. (I am as busy as you).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Without insight meditation, it is incomplete to be a Buddhist.