Wednesday, March 16, 2011

(13) Reporting: Reports and Summaries

Tense ဟာ reported speech မွာ ႐ႈပ္ေထြးတယ္လုိ႔ထင္ရတယ္။ သို႔ေသာ္ rules ေတြအေနနဲ႔ကေတာ့ က်န္တာေတြနဲ႔ အတူတူေလာက္ပါပဲ။

1. What people say or think ကုိ report လုပ္တဲ့အခါမွာ -

Clause ကုိ that နဲ႔ ေရးရတာလဲရွိတယ္။

Everybody knew that it was Henry’s birthday tomorrow.

She explained that she would do as much as she could to help.

သို႔ေသာ္ that ကို ျဖဳတ္ထားလုိ႔လဲ ရတယ္။

Everybody knew it was Henry’s birthday tomorrow.

She explained she would do as much as she could to help.

Wh- clause, if clause နဲ႔ေရးရတာလဲ ရွိတယ္။

He was asked what he had been doing the previous night.

She explained why she went by train rather than by car.

To infinitives နဲ႔ ေရးရတာလဲ ရွိတယ္။

We all agree to do as much as we could.

Who told you to come?

2. တစ္ေယာက္ေယာက္ေျပာတာေတြကို အတိအက် report ျပန္လုပ္တာေတာ့ ရွားပါတယ္။ Summary ေလာက္ပဲ ေျပာေလ့ရွိတယ္။

Mary: Oh dear, we’ve been walking for hours. I am exhausted. I don’t think I can go any further. I really need to stop for a rest.

Peter: Don’t worry. I’m not surprised that you’re tired. I’m tired too. I’ll tell you what. I’ll see if I can find a place to sit down, and then we can stop and have our picnic.

>>>

When Mary complained that she was tired out after walking so far, Peter said they could stop for a picnic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Without insight meditation, it is incomplete to be a Buddhist.