Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Verbs Part II

Verbs (8) – Active and Passive Voice

Transitive verbs မွာ active/ passive ပံုစံႏွစ္မ်ိဳးလံုးရွိတယ္။

The hunter killed the lion (active).> The lion was killed by the hunter. (passive)

Someone has cleansed the windows. (active)> The windows have been cleansed. (passive)

Passive forms ေတြကို be + past participle နဲ႔ ဖြဲ႔စည္းပါတယ္။

be past participle
English is spoken all over the world.
The windows have been cleansed.
Lunch was being served.
The work will be finished soon.
They might have been invited to the party.

ရံခါ passive အတြက္ get ကိုသံုးေလ့ရွိတယ္။

Be careful with the class. It might get broken.

Peter got hurt in a crash.

ျပဳလုပ္သူ၊ အရာကိုေဖာ္ျပခ်င္ရင္ by ခံၿပီးသံုးတယ္။

She was attached by a dangerous dog.

The money was stolen by her husband.

Passive verb ရဲ႕ subject အျဖစ္နဲ႔ indirect object ကိုသံုးတယ္။

Active Passive
I gave him a book for his birthday. He was given a book for his birthday.
Someone sent her a cheque for a thousand euros. She was sent a cheque for a thousand euros.

Passive မွာ phrasal verbs ေတြနဲ႔လဲ ေရးလုိ႔ရတယ္။

Active Passive
They called off the meeting. The meeting was called off.
His grandmother looked after him. He was looked after by his grandmother.
They will send him away to school. He will be sent away to school.

Passive မွာ အမ်ားအားျဖင့္ အသံုးျပဳတဲ့ အခိ်ဳ႕ verb ေတြေနာင္ to လုိက္ေပးရတယ္။

be supposed to be expected to be asked to
be scheduled to be allowed to be told to

John has been asked to mark a speech at the meeting.

You are supposed to wear a uniform.

The meeting is scheduled to start at seven.

Verbs (9) to + infinitive

To + infinitive ကုိ ရည္ရြယ္ခ်က္ကိုေျပာဖုိ႔ (purpose or to answer why) သံုးတယ္။

He bought some flowers to give his wife.

He locked the door to keep everyone out.

ရံခါတြင္ in order to/ in order not to တုိ႔ကိုသံုးတယ္။

We set off early in order to avoid the traffic.

They spoke quietly in order not to wake the children.

တစ္နည္းအားျဖင့္ so as to/ so as not to နဲ႔လဲ သံုးႏုိင္တယ္။

We set off early so as to avoid the traffic.

They spoke quietly so as not to wake the children.

အခ်ိဳ႕ verbs ေတြက to + infinitive လုိက္ရတာေတြရွိတယ္။ အထူးသျဖင့္ Verbs of thinking and feeling and verbs of saying ေတြပါပဲ။

Verbs of thinking and feeling

choose, decide, expect, forget, hate, hope, intend, learn, like, love, mean, plan, prefer, remember, want, would like, would love,

Verbs of saying

Agree, promise, refuse

They decided to start a business together.

Remember to turn the lights out.

အခ်ိဳ႕ verbs ေတြမွာ direct object ေနာက္က infinitive လုိက္တယ္။

advise, ask, encourage, invite, order, persuade, remind, tell, warn, expect, intend, would prefer, want, would like

She reminded me to turn the lights out.

He encouraged his friends to vote for him.

အခ်ိဳ႕ adjectives ေတြ ေနာက္မွာလဲ to + infinitive လိုက္တယ္။

ရံခါ to + infinitive က adjective ရဲ႕အေၾကာင္းကုိျပတယ္။ (give a reason for the adjective)

dissapointed, glad, sad, happy, anxious, pleased, surprised, proud, unhappy

We were happy to come to the end of our journey. (We were happy because we had come to the end of our journey).

John was surprised to see me. (He was surprised because he saw me).

To + infinitive လုိက္တဲ့ အျခား adjective ေတြကေတာ့ -

able, unable, due, eager, keen, likely, unlikely, ready, prepared, unwilling, willing

Unfortunately I was unable to work for over a week.

I am really tired. I’m ready to go to bed.

ေအာက္ပါ adjectives ေတြကုိေတာ့ ထင္ျမင္ခ်က္ကိုေျပာဖို႔ (to give opinions) to + infinitive နဲ႔တြဲသံုးတယ္။

difficult, easy, possible, impossible, hard, right, wrong, kind, nice, clever, silly, foolish

It’s easy to play the piano, but it’s very difficult to play well.

He spoke so quickly it was impossible to understand him.

Adjectives ေတြက ဘယ္သူ႔ကုိ ရညၫႊန္းတယ္ဆုိတာ ေျပာဖို႔အတြက္ for ကို သံုးပါတယ္။

difficult, easy, possible, impossible, hard

It was difficult for us to hear what she was saying.

It is easy for you to criticize other people.

အခ်ိဳ႕ adjective ေတြက of နဲ႔ တြဲသံုးႏုိင္တာလဲ ရွိတယ္။

It’s kind of you to help.

It would be silly of him to spend all his money.

To + infinitive ကို post-modifier အျဖစ္နဲ႔ ability, desire, need, wish, attempt, failure, opportunity, chance, intention ကဲ့သုိ႔ေသာ abstract nouns ေတြရဲ႕ေနာက္မွာ သံုးႏုိင္ပါတယ္။

I have no desire to be rich.

They gave him an opportunity to escape.

She was annoyed by her failure to answer the question correctly.

To + infinitive ကို post-modifier အျဖစ္နဲ႔ indefinite pronouns ေတြရဲ႕ေနာက္မွာ သံုးႏုိင္ပါတယ္။

When I am traveling I always take something to read.

I was all alone. I had no one to talk to.

There is hardly anything to do in most of these small towns.

Verbs (10) - -ing Forms

-ing form ကုိ noun အျဖစ္လဲ သံုးႏုိင္တယ္။

I love swimming.

Swimming is very good for your health.

You can get it by swimming regularly.

(-ing nouns ေတြဟာ အၿမဲတမ္းနီးပါး uncount noun ေတြသာျဖစ္တယ္)။

Adjective အျဖစ္လဲ သံုးႏုိင္တယ္။

The main problem today is rising prices.

That programme was really boring.

He saw a woman lying on the floor.

-ing noun/ adject တို႔ဟာ verb မွျဖစ္လာတာေတြ ျဖစ္တဲ့အတြက္ verb ေနာက္လုိက္တဲ့ ပံုစံအခ်ိဳ႕လဲ ေတြ႔ႏုိင္တယ္။

- object

Learning English can be difficult.

I like playing tennis.

I saw a dog chasing a cat.

- adverbial

You can earn a lot of money by working hard.

There were several people waiting for the bus.

- clause

I heard someone saying that.

-ing noun ေတြကို subject အျဖစ္ေရာ object အျဖစ္ပါ ထားသံုးႏုိင္တယ္။

Learning English is not easy. (Subject of a verb)

We enjoyed learning English. (Object of a verb)

-ing object လုိက္တဲ့ verb အမ်ားစုကေတာ့ ေအာက္ပါဇယားအတုိင္းျဖစ္ပါတယ္။

Admit

Like

Hate

Start

Avoid

Suggest

Enjoy

Dislike

Begin

finish

-ing form ေတြကုိ preposition ရဲ႕ object အျဖစ္နဲ႔လဲ သံုးႏုိင္တယ္။

Some people are not interested in learning English.

-ing adjective ေတြဟာ noun ေရွ႕ကလဲ လာႏုိင္တယ္။

I read an interesting article in the news paper today.

We saw a really exciting match on Sunday.

Noun ေရွ႕ လာႏုိင္တဲ့ -ing adjective အမ်ားစုကေတာ့ ေအာက္ပါအတုိင္းျဖစ္တယ္။

Amusing

Interesting

Worrying

Shocking

Disappointing

Boring

Surprising

Exciting

Terrifying

Frightening

Tiring

Annoying

-ing adjective ေတြဟာ noun ေနာက္ကလဲ လာႏုိင္တယ္။

Who is that man standing over there?

The boy talking to Angela is her younger brother.

အထူးသျဖင့္ see, watch, hear, smell စတဲ့ verb မ်ားေနာက္မွာ လာတတ္တယ္။

I heard someone playing the piano.

I can smell something burning.

Verbs (11) – Talking about the present

1. Present Simple ကို -

- ပစၥဳပၸန္မွာ ပံုမွန္ျဖစ္ေနတဲ့အရာေတြကို ေျပာဖုိ႔ သံုးတယ္။ (happening regularly in the present)

The children come home from school at about four.

We often see your brother at work.

- ပစၥဳပၸန္မွာ အၿမဲျဖစ္ေနတဲ့အရာေတြကုိ ေျပာဖို႔ သံုးတယ္။ (happening continually in the present)

They live next door to us.

He works for the post office.

- ေယဘုယ်အားျဖင့္ မွန္ကန္ေနတဲ့အရာေတြ ေျပာဖို႔ သံုးတယ္။ (the things which are generally true)

Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius.

The Nile is the longest river in Africa.

2. Present Continuous Tense ကို-

- ပစၥဳပၸန္မွာ ယာယီအားျဖင့္ ျဖစ္ေနတာေတြျပဖုိ႔သံုးတယ္။ (to show that something in the present is temporary)

We are living in the rented flat at present.

My wife usually goes in to the office, but she is working at home today.

- ေျပာတဲ့အခ်ိန္မတုိင္မီကေန ေျပာတဲ့အခ်ိန္ေနာက္အထိ ပံုမွန္ျဖစ္ေနတဲ့အရာေတြအတြက္ သံုးတယ္။ (something happening regularly in the present before and after a given time)

I’m usually getting ready for work at eight o’clock.

When I see George he’s always reading his newspaper.

- ေျပာေနခုိက္မွာ မေျပာခင္ကေန ေျပာၿပီးေနာက္အထိ ျဖစ္ေနတဲ့အရာေတြအတြက္ သံုးတယ္။ (something happening before and after the moment of speaking)

I can’t hear you. I’m listening to my iPod.

Be quiet. The children are sleeping.

3. တစ္စံုတစ္ရာ မေသခ်ာရင္ေတာ့ ပစၥဳပၸန္အေၾကာင္းေျပာဖုိ႔ Modal verb ကုိသံုးတယ္။

I don’t know where Henry is. He might be playing tennis.

Who’s knocking the door? I don’t know. It could be the police.

Verbs (12) – Talking about the Past

1. Talking about past events and situations

Past Simple ကို

- အတိတ္တစ္ခ်ိန္က ျဖစ္ခဲ့တာေတြေျပာရင္ သံုးတယ္။ (a particular time in the past)

We arrived home before dark.

The film started at seven thirty.

- အတိတ္က အခ်ိန္ေတာ္ေတာ္ၾကာၾကာ ဆက္လက္ျဖစ္ေနတာေတြေျပာတဲ့အခါ သံုးတယ္။ (continued for some time in the past)

Everybody worked hard through the winter.

We stayed with our friends in London.

အတိတ္က အႀကိမ္ေတာ္ေတာ္မ်ားမ်ား ျဖစ္ခဲ့တာေတြေျပာမယ္ဆုိရင္ (several times in the past)

- past simple ကုိသံုးတယ္။

Most evenings we stayed at home and watched DVDs.

Sometimes we went out for a meal.

- used to ကို သံုးတယ္။

Most evenings we used to stay at home and watched DVDs.

Sometimes we used to go out for a meal.

- would ကိုသံုးတယ္။

Most evenings he would take the dog for a walk.

They would often visit friends in Europe.

The past continuous tense ကို

အတိတ္က ေျပာတဲ့အခ်ိန္မတုိင္မီကေန ၿပီးေနာက္အထိ ျဖစ္ခဲ့တာေတြကို ေျပာရင္ သံုးတယ္။ (happened before and after a given time in the past)

It was just after ten. I was watching the news on TV.

At half-time we were losing 1-0.

2. The Past in the Past

အတိတ္တစ္ခ်ိန္ကို ျပန္ၾကည့္လုိက္တဲ့အခါ အဲဒီထက္ေစာျဖစ္ခဲ့တာကို ေျပာခ်င္ရင္ past perfect ကိုသံုးတယ္။

Helen suddenly remembered she had left her keys in the car.

When we had done all our shopping we caught the bus home.

They wanted to buy a new computer, but they hadn’t saved enough money.

They would have bought a new computer if they had saved enough money.

3. The Past and the Present

The Present Perfect ကို

အတိတ္ကျဖစ္ခဲ့တာက ပစၥဳပၸန္မွာ အက်ိဳးလာသက္ေရာက္ေနတာကိုေျပာရင္ သံုးတယ္။

I can’t open the door. I have left my keys in the car.

Jenny has found a new job. She works in a supermarket now.

အတိတ္ကျဖစ္ခဲ့ၿပီး အခုထိဆက္လက္ျဖစ္ေနတာေတြကိုေျပာရင္သံုးတယ္။

We have lived here since 2007. (and we still live here)

I have been working at the university for over ten years.

4. The Future in the Past

အတိတ္တစ္ခ်ိန္ကေနၿပီး အနာဂတ္အေၾကာင္းေျပာတဲ့အခါ-

- would as the past tense of will

He thought he would buy one the next day.

Everyone was excited. The party would be fun.

- was/were going to

John was going to drive and Mary was going to follow on her bicycle.

It was Friday. We were going to set off the next day.

- the past continuous

It was September. Mary was starting school the next week.

We were very busy. The shop was opening in two weeks time.

Verbs (13) – Talking about the Future

1. Future အနာဂတ္အေၾကာင္း သိထားရင္ ပံုမွန္အားျဖင့္ Future tense ကိုသံုးတယ္။

- အစီအစဥ္ဆြဲထားၿပီးဆုိရင္ present simple ကိုသံုးတယ္။ (something scheduled or arranged)

We have the lessons next Monday.

The train arrives at 6:30 in the morning.

The holiday starts next week.

It is my birthday tomorrow.

-အစီအစဥ္ေတြအတြက္ present continuous ကုိသံုးတယ္။ (for plans or arrangement)

I’m playing football tomorrow.

They are coming to see us tomorrow.

We’re having a party at Christmas.

2. Future အနာဂတ္ကုိေျပာဖုိ႔ will ကုိသံုးတယ္။

- ခန္႔မွန္းခ်က္ျပဳလုပ္တဲ့အခါ သံုးတယ္။ (predictions)

It will be a nice day tomorrow.

I think Brazil will win the World Cup.

I’m sure you’ll enjoy the film.

- want to/ be willing to အဓိပၸါယ္မ်ိဳးအတြက္လဲ will ကုိသံုးတယ္။

I hope you will come to my party.

George says he will help us.

- ကမ္းလွမ္းျခင္း၊ ကတိေပးျခင္းျပဳလုပ္ရာမွာ သံုးတယ္။ (offers and promises)

I’ll see you tomorrow.

We’ll send you an email.

- ကမ္းလွမ္းခ်က္၊ ကတိေပးျခင္းအေၾကာင္းေျပာရာမွာလဲ သံုးတယ္။ (offers and promises)

Tim will be at the meeting.

Mary will help with the cooking.

3. Future အတြက္ be going to ကုိလဲ သံုးတယ္။

- အစီအစဥ္မ်ား ရည္ရြယ္ခ်က္မ်ားအေေၾကာင္းေျပာရင္သံုးတယ္။ (plans and intentions)

I’m going to drive to work today.

They are going to move to Manchester.

- တစ္ခုခုျဖစ္ႏုိင္တယ္လုိ႔ သိတဲ့အခါ သံုးတယ္။ (likely to happen)

Be careful. You are going to fall.

Look at those black clouds. I think it’s going to rain.

4. would like, plan, want, mean, hope, expect လို verb ေတြကို future အေၾကာင္းေျပာဖုိ႔ သံုးတယ္။

What are you going to do next year? I’d like to go to University.

We plan to go to France for our holidays.

George wants to buy a new car.

5. Future အေၾကာင္း မေသခ်ာေသာအခါ may, might, could ကဲ့သို႔ေသာ modals ေတြကုိသံုးတယ္။

I might stay at home tonight, or I might go to the cinema.

We could see Mary at the meeting. She sometimes goes.

6. တစ္ခုခုျဖစ္ႏုိင္ေျခရွိရင္ should ကိုသံုးတယ္။ (likely to happen)

We should be home in time for tea.

The game should be over by 8 o’clock.

7. Time words ပါတဲ့ clause ေတြမွာ- အထူးသျဖင့္ when, after, until ပါတဲ့ clause ေတြမွာ future အေၾကာင္းေျပာဖို႔ present tense ကိုသံုးတယ္။

I’ll come home when I finish work.

You must wait here until your father comes.

They are coming after they have had dinner.

8. If clause ေတြမွာလဲ future အေၾကာင္းေျပာဖို႔ present tense ကိုသံုးေလ့ရွိတယ္။

We won’t be able to go out if it rains.

If Barcelona wins tomorrow they will be champions.

Note: if and time words clause ေတြမွာ will ကုိမသံုးပါ။

I’ll come home when I will finish work.

We won’t be able to go out if it will rain rains.

ဒါေပမယ့္ Promises/ offer အဓိပၸါယ္အေနနဲ႔ေတာ့ will ကုိသံုးပါတယ္။

I will be very happy if you will come to my party.

We should finish the job early if George will help us.

9. Plan, arrangements, intentions ေတြအေၾကာင္းေျပာတဲ့အခါ present continuous/ going to အစား future continuous ကုိ (for emphasis) ေလးနက္ေစရန္အတြက္ သံုးႏုိင္တယ္။

They will be coming to see us next week.

I will be driving to work tomorrow.

Verbs (14) – Verbs in time clauses and if clauses

Time clauses and conditionals မွာပါတဲ့ verb ေတြဟာ ေအာက္ပါျခြင္းခ်က္အနည္းငယ္ကလြဲရင္ အျခား clause ေတြလုိပါပဲ။

When, after, until လုိ စကားလံုးေတြပါတဲ့ clauses ေတြမွာ future ကိုေျပာဖို႔ present tense ကိုသံုးတယ္။

I’ll come home when I finish work.

You must wait here until your father comes.

They are coming after they have had dinner.

If, unless ပါတဲ့ conditional clauses ေတြမွာ future ကိုေျပာဖို႔ present tense ကိုသံုးတယ္။

We won’t be able to go out if it is raining.

If Barcelona win tomorrow they will be champion.

I will come tomorrow unless I have to look after the children.

ပံုမွန္အားျဖင့္ if, time word clauses ေတြမွာ will ကုိ မသံုးပါဘူး။

I’ll come home when I will finish work.

We won’t be able to go out if it will rain rains.

It will be nice to see Peter when he’ll get home gets home.

You must wait here until your father will come comes.

သို႔ေသာ္ promise/ offer အဓိပၸါယ္နဲ႔ဆုိရင္ေတာ့ will ကုိသံုးပါ။

I will be very happy if you will come to my party.

We should finish the job early if George will help us.

If Clauses and Hypotheses

Hypotheses ဆန္ဆန္ if clauses ေတြမွာ present and future ကိုေျပာဖို႔ past tense ကိုသံုးတယ္။

If clause ၌ present ေျပာဖုိ႔ past tense ကိုသံုးရာတြင္-

မျဖစ္ေသးတာ၊ ျဖစ္ဆဲမဟုတ္တဲ့အရာေတြအတြက္ (that has not happened or is not happening) သံုးတယ္။

He could get if he really tried. (He cannot get a job because he has not tried).

If Jack was playing they could probably win. (Jack is not playing so they will probably not win).

If I had his address I could write to him. (I do not have his address so I cannot write to him).

If clause ၌ future ေျပာဖုိ႔ past tense ကို သံုးရာတြင္-

ယံုၾကည္/သိထားရတာေတြဟာ ျဖစ္မွာမဟုတ္ဘူးဆုိတဲ့သေဘာမ်ိဳးအတြက္ သံုးတယ္။ (that we believe or know will not happen).

We would go by train if it wasn’t so expensive. (We won’t go by train because it is too expensive).

I would look after the children for you at the weekend if I was at home. (I can’t look after the children for you at the weekend because I will not be at home).

ျဖစ္ႏုိင္တာေတြကို အႀကံျပဳတဲ့အခါ သံုးတယ္။ (suggestions about what might happen).

If he came tomorrow we could borrow his car.

If we invited John, Mary would bring Angela.

အတိတ္က မျဖစ္ခဲ့တာေတြကို ေျပာေနတဲ့အခါ if clause မွာ past perfect နဲ႔ main clause မွာ modal verb ကိုသံုးတယ္။

If you had seen him you could have spoken to him. (You did not see him so you could not speak to him).

You could have stayed with us if you had come to London. (You couldn’t stay with us because you didn’t come to London).

If we hadn’t spent all our money we could take a holiday. (We have spent all our money so we can’t take a holiday).

If I had got the job we could be living in Paris. (I did not get the job so we are not living in Paris).

Main clause က past အေေၾကာင္းေျပာရင္ modal verb ကို have နဲ႔ တြဲသံုးတယ္။

If you had seen him you could have spoken to him. (You did not see him so you could not speak to him).

You could have stayed with us if you had come to London. (You couldn’t stay with us because you didn’t come to London).

If you had invited me I might have come. (You didn’t invite me so I didn’t come).

Main clause က present အေၾကာင္းေျပာရင္ present tense or modal verb ကုိ have မပါဘဲ သံုးတယ္။

If I had got the job we could be living in Paris now. (I did not get the job so we are not living in Paris now).

If you had done your homework you would know the answer. (You did not do your homework so you do not know the answer).

Verbs (15) – Wishes and Hypotheses

Wishes

Wishes ေတြကိုေျပာဖုိ႔ past tense ကုိသုံုးတယ္။

Wishes for the future (အနာဂတ္ဆႏၵ) ကိုေျပာဖုိ႔ past tense modal – would/ could ကိုသံုးတယ္။

I don’t like my work. I wish I could get a better job.

That’s a dreadful noise. I wish it could stop.

I always have to get home early. I wish my parents would let me stay out later.

Wishes for the present (ေလာေလာဆယ္ ဆႏၵ) ေတြေျပာဖို႔ past tense form ကုိသံုးတယ္။

I don’t like this place. I wish I lived in somewhere more interesting.

These seats are very uncomfortable. I wish we were traveling first class.

Everyone wishes they had more free time.

John wishes he wasn’t so busy.

I wish it wasn’t so cold.

Wishes for the past (အတိတ္ဆႏၵ)ေတြေျပာဖုိ႔အတြက္ past perfect ကုိသံုးတယ္။

I wish I had worked harder when I was at school.

Mary wishes she has listened to what her mother told her.

I wish I hadn’t spent so much money last month.

Hypotheses (things that we imagine)

Hypotheses ေတြကုိေျပာတဲ့အခါ -

အနာဂတ္မွာ ျဖစ္ႏုိင္ေျခရွိတာေတြေျပာဖို႔ what if, in case, suppose လုိ phrase ေနာက္မွာ present tense form ကုိသံုးတယ္။

Those steps are dangerous. Suppose someone has an accident.

We should leave home early in case we are late.

ျဖစ္ႏုိင္ေျခမရွိတာေတြ အႀကံျပဳဖို႔ suppose/ what if ေနာက္က future အေၾကာင္းေျပာဖို႔ past tense ကုိသံုးရတယ္။

It might be dangerous. Suppose they got lost.

What if he lost his job. What would happen then?

Future hypothesis အတြက္ would/ could ကုိသံုးတယ္။

We can’t all stay in a hotel. It would be very expensive.

Drive carefully. You could have an accident.

Imagined future (စိတ္ကူးယဥ္အနာဂတ္) အေၾကာင္းေျပာဖုိ႔ main clause မွာ would ကုိသံုးၿပီး subordinate clause မွာ past ကုိသံုးရတယ္။

I would always help someone who really needed help.

I would always help someone if they really needed help.

အတိတ္က မျဖစ္ခဲ့တာကုိေျပာဖို႔ modal + have ကိုသံုးတယ္။

I did not see Mary, or I might have spoken to her.

It’s a pity Jack wasn’t at the party. He would have enjoyed this party.

Why didn’t you ask me. I could have told you the answer.

Verbs (16) – the verb be

Verb be forms

Present simple

Affirmative

I am

You are

He/she/it is

We are

You are

They are

Question form

Am I?

Are you?

Is he/she/it?

Are we?

Are you?

Are they?

Negative

I am not/ I’m not

You are not/ aren’t

He/she/it is not/isn’t

We are not/aren’t

You are not/ aren’t

They are not/ aren’t

Past simple

I was

You were

He/she/it was

We were

You were

They were

The past participle

Been

Present perfect

Has/have been

Past perfect

Had been

Verb Be: be/am/is/are- was/were- been- being

Verb be အသံုးျပဳပံုမွာ ေအာက္ပါအတိုင္းျဖစ္သည္။

1. Noun နဲ႔တြဲသံုးတယ္။

My mother is a teacher.

Bill Clinton was the president of the US.

2. Adjective နဲ႔တြဲသံုးတယ္။

This soup is very tasty.

The children were good.

Continuous aspect ျဖစ္ဖုိ႔ -ing form နဲ႔တြဲသံုးတယ္။

We were walking down the street.

Everything was wet. It has been raining for hours.

Passive voice ျဖစ္ဖုိ႔ -ed form/ past participle နဲ႔တြဲသံုးတယ္။

The house was built in 1890.

The street is called Montagu Street.

This car was made in Japan.

3. Prepositional Phrase ေတြနဲ႔ တြဲသံုးတယ္။

John and his wife are from Manchester.

The flowers are on the table.

Verbs (17) – Link verbs

အခ်ိဳ႕ link verb ေတြေနာက္က noun သုိ႔မဟုတ္ adjective တစ္ခုခုလုိက္တယ္။

She was a good friend. (N+V+N)

She was very happy. (N+V+Adj)

He became headmaster. (N+V+N)

He became angry. (N+V+Adj)

ဒီလုိ verb မ်ိဳးေတြကုိ link verb လို႔ေခၚတယ္။ ဒီလုိမ်ိဳး Common link verb ေတြကေတာ့- Be; become; appear; feel; look; remain; seem; sound တို႔ ျဖစ္တယ္။

She seemed an intelligent woman.

She seemed intelligent.

He looked hungry.

He looked a good player.

Appear နဲ႔ seem ေနာက္မွာ ရံခါ to be လိုက္တယ္။

She appeared to be an intelligent woman.

She seemed to be angry.

အခ်ိဳ႕ link verb ေတြေနာက္က adjective လုိက္တယ္။ ဒီလုိမ်ိဳး link verb ေတြကေတာ့- get; go; grow; taste; smell တို႔ ျဖစ္ပါတယ္။

He got hungry in the evening.

She grew stronger every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Without insight meditation, it is incomplete to be a Buddhist.