Saturday, February 19, 2011

Verbs Part III

Verbs (18) – Delexical Verbs like have, take, make and give

Common verb and Noun

Have, take လုိမ်ိဳး common verb ေတြကုိ a shower, a drink လုိ noun ေတြနဲ႔ မၾကာခဏ သံုးေလ့ရွိတယ္။ ဥပမာ-

I took a shower. (I showered.)

She had a drink. (She drank something.)

Verb နဲ႔ noun ေပါင္းစပ္ၿပီး အဓိက အဓိပၸါယ္ကုိ noun ကထုတ္ယူထားတဲ့အတြက္ေၾကာင့္ delexical verbs လုိ႔ေခၚတယ္။ (because the important part of the meaning is taken out of the verb and put into the noun.) Verb နဲ႔ noun ေပါင္းၿပီး verb အျဖစ္ အသံုးျပဳလုိက္တာပါပဲ။

adjective ကို noun ေရွ႕မွာ ကပ္ထည့္ထားႏုိင္တယ္။

I took a cold shower.

She had a nice, refreshing drink.

မၾကာခဏ ဒီလုိမ်ိဳး အသံုးျပဳတဲ့ verb ေတြဟာ have, take, make, and give တို႔ပါပဲ။

Go နဲ႔ do ကုိလဲ delexical verb အျဖစ္သံုးတယ္၊ ဒါေပမယ့္ သံုးပံုတစ္မ်ိဳးျဖစ္သြားတယ္။

Shall we go swimming this afternoon? Or shall we go for a walk?

It’s your turn to do the cooking.

I’ll have to do my hair before the party.

Have ကုိ ေယဘုယ်အားျဖင့္ ေအာက္ပါ noun ေတြနဲ႔ တြဲသံုးႏုိင္တယ္။

Food and drink: a meal, breakfast, lunch, dinner, a snack, a cup of tea

Talking: a chat, a conversation, a discussion, a talk

Washing: a bath, a shower, a wash, a scrub

Resting: a break, a holiday, a rest

Disagreeing: argument, dispute, fight, quarrel

I had a good breakfast before I left home.

We had a long talk about the problem.

The kids should have a bath before they go to bed.

She generally had a short holiday in July or August.

They had a serious quarrel about their father’s will.

Take ကုိ

Washing: a bath, a shower, a wash

Resting: a break, a holiday, a rest ေတြနဲ႔ တြဲသံုးႏုိင္တယ္။

I always take a cold shower in the morning.

You look tired. You need to take a break.

ထို႔အျပင္ - care, care of, a chance, a risk, a decision, a photograph, trouble, a turn, turns တုိ႔နဲ႔ လဲ သံုးႏုိင္တယ္။

We took hundreds of photographs on holiday.

Jane always takes a lot of trouble with her homework.

Have, take တုိ႔ကုိ verb-nouns (nouns formed from verbs) ေတြနဲ႔ တြဲသံုးႏုိင္တယ္။

I think you should have a look at this.

She took a bite of the cake.

I’m thirsty. I’m going to have a drink of water.

I had a listen to that new CD in the car.

They are going to have a swim.

Give ကို ေအာက္ပါ nouns ေတြနဲ႔ ေယဘုယ်အားျဖင့္ သံုးတယ္။

Noises: a cry, a laugh, a scream, a shout, a whistle

Facial expressions: a smile, a grin, a look, a glance

Hitting: a kick, a punch, a slap, a push, a knock, a blow

Affectionate actions: a hug, a kiss, a stroke

Talking: advice, an answer, information, an interview, a lecture, some news, a report, a speech, a talk, a warning

She gave a loud laugh.

John gave a happy smile.

He gave me a nasty kick on the leg.

She gave the children a goodnight kiss and put them to bed.

I have to give a speech at the meeting tomorrow.

Make ကို ေအာက္ပါတို႔နဲ႔ ေယဘုယ်အားျဖင့္တြဲသံုးတယ္။

Talking (and sounds): a comment, an enquiry, a noise, a point, a promise, a sound, a speech, a suggestion,

Plans: arrangements, a choice, a decision, a plan, plans

Travel: a journey, a trip, a tour of, a visit to

Go ကို -ing verb နဲ႔ သို႔မဟုတ္ common activities ေတြနဲ႔ တြဲသံုးတယ္။

We usually go walking at the weekend.

He goes running every evening after supper.

Mum’s out. She’s gone shopping.

Go for a - ကို လႈပ္ရွားမႈရွိတဲ့ common activities ေတြနဲ႔ တြဲသံုးတယ္။

A jog, a swim, a ride, a run, a stroll, a walk

I want to get out of here. Let’s go for a walk.

He’s gone for a ride on his bike.

Do ကို အထူးသျဖင့္ အိမ္အလုပ္ေတြေျပာဖို႔ the –ing နဲ႔၊ သာမန္အလုပ္ေတြ ေျပာဖို႔ အျခား noun ေတြနဲ႔ တြဲသံုးတယ္။

It’s your turn to do the cooking.

You do the washing up and I’ll do the drying.

I need to do a few jobs around the house.

I can’t come out this evening. I have a lot of work to do.

Do ကို noun ေတြနဲ႔ ဘာလုပ္မယ္ဆုိတာ ထင္သာျမင္သာရွိတဲ့အခါမ်ိဳးမွာ တြဲသံုးတယ္။

I’ll have to do my hair before we go out. (I’ll have to brush my hair.)

Have you done your teeth? (Have you cleaned your teeth?)

Have you done the car? ဒီ question မ်ိဳးမွာ - စကားဆက္၊ အေျခအေနၾကည့္ၿပီး နားလည္ရမယ္။

Have you washed the car? လဲျဖစ္ႏုိင္တယ္။

Have you mended the car? လဲျဖစ္ႏုိင္တယ္။

Have you filled the car with the petrol? လဲျဖစ္ႏုိင္တာပဲ။ ကားေရေဆးခုိင္းထားတာကုိ သိခ်င္လုိ႔ေမးတယ္ဆုိပါစို႔။ Have you done the car? ဆုိတာနဲ႔ ကားေရေဆးၿပီးၿပီလား ဆုိတာ နားလည္လုိက္ရမယ္။

No comments:

Post a Comment

Without insight meditation, it is incomplete to be a Buddhist.